DIY Canvas Art

This DIY project has been a long time coming. I worked on it earlier this Summer but didn't get around to finishing it until a couple of weeks ago.

This canvas art was going to originally be hung in our upstairs hallway, you know the one that got a mini-makeover, except I didn't like how it looked on the wall, therefore it ended up in the office and warming up the room even more.

But before I get side tracked lets talk about how I went about creating this piece of DIY art.
I've been wanting to try one of these DIY canvas art pieces for a while and when I found this $3.99 canvas at the .99 cent store, it only seemed ideal.

Don't get me wrong I am a fan of Marilyn Monroe and John Wayne (correction, Clark Gable) but not exactly the kind of art I would put up on my walls. It's a beautiful piece but definitely not part of our aesthetic.

Anyway, besides finding the canvas, it just dawned on me that I could re-create some kind of plaster art, just like what I created when I did my plaster clay like DIY vase.

So I grabbed my necessities and started just working my "whatever comes of it magic."

I always start with the PERMANENT PATCH by applying it first, let it dry, which by the way dries very quickly. And then go over it with the SPACKLE which I sometimes add water to so that it goes on more smoothly if it becomes too stiff.

No need to prime the canvas, unless you wanted to, but I pretty much covered most of it with what I was working with and went over it with my paint colors after the permanent patch and spackle were fully dried.

I was happy with the texture, I wasn't going for anything in particular just wanted it to have lots of texture. Of course you could always work it to your liking, Pinterest has lots of ideas.

Below is the inspo that I had kind of wanted which I found on Pinterest but I was okay with it not looking exactly like it.

After I went over it with some paint I had and gave it different strokes of two different colors, I knew that I wanted to frame it as well. Luckily we had extra trimming wood which I love because that means that this project in total literally only cost me what the canvas cost which was only $3.99 plus the stain $6 a total $9.99.

That's all I spent on this project.

The stain was Early American by Behr and I know I'll be using it again so I didn't mind spending the $6.

The final project might seem imperfect but that's what I like about it that not only was it a learning experience because nothing is like this is ever perfect your first try or even meant to be perfect at all. But if and when I decide to make another one of these I know that I can continue trying to perfect whatever technique I'm going for.

As always, I would love to hear your thoughts and if you would try and create one of these yourselves? Personally I love trying new things that inspire me and that I can honestly say I made myself and be proud of it, and plus its add a personal and charming touch to our home.


If you liked this post today please feel free to give it a Share or a Pin so that others can see it too. As always, you can find me on FacebookInstagram and Pinterest as well.
It always makes me happy that you're here and hope that these ideas inspire you. 

Thank you for stopping by. Stay tuned for more coming soon.

Full Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links and I may receive a small commission for any sales made through them, at no cost to you, of course. This little bit goes to help support the costs of running my blog and every little bit helps support my family. 
Thank you so much in advance friends!

No comments

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment., pub-1252125235874130, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0